When a card expires, new authorisation requests will be blocked. The funds remain in the balance account. Refunds, captures, cancellations and chargebacks can still take place. Currently, you as the card partner cannot receive a notification when a card expires. However, this will be possible in the future.
When the card needs to be replaced because it has expired, the card first needs to be closed. This can be done via the Customer Area by following these steps:
- Log in to the Balance Platform Customer Area with your credentials.
- Go to Payment instruments.
- Select the appropriate payment instrument from the list.
- Select Change card status in the upper right corner.
- In the pop-up window, set the New Status to Closed.
- In the Reason dropdown list, select the appropriate reason for the status change. Select Expired status in this case.
- Select Change status.
Additionally, a card can be closed with an API call.
Secondly, a new payment instrument must be requested. This is done in the same way as the initial payment instrument was requested. So either through the Customer Area or with an API request. For more details regarding API requests please visit our docs.