Refunding your shoppers
When your customer returns an item and you want to return their funds, you can refund their payment.
Submit a refund via your Customer Area
- Log in to your Customer Area.
- Go to Transactions > Payments.
- Select the PSP Reference of the payment you want to refund.
- Select Refund payment and adjust the amount to be refunded.
- Confirm and select Refund.
Submit a refund via the API
- Follow our technical documentation.
Watch how to to refund a payment
Possible reasons you can’t make a refund
Is the refund button unavailable, or you can’t make a refund? This can happen for one of the following reasons.
- Your user role doesn’t have refund rights. Reach out to your admin user. They can assign you the Merchant manage payments role, which lets you make refunds.
- The payment method doesn’t support refunds. See an overview of our payment methods.
- A refund isn’t yet possible. A payment must be captured and in SentForSettle or Settled status before a refund is possible. Read more on payment statuses.
- The bank account details aren’t valid. This can happen with some online banking methods like Sofort. Check the IBAN versus the issuerCountry for mismatches.
- You reached the refund limit for this payment method. See a visual overview later in this article.
- If your transaction received the RefundFailed status, read why your refund failed.
- You have an insufficient refund balance.
Generate a list of refunds made during a certain time period
If you wish to generate a list of refunds made during a certain time period, you can use the Interactive Payment Accounting report in the Customer Area > Reports. After selecting the report, you can choose the timeframe and time zone you want to use, and filter on the journal SentForRefund before generating the report.