Adyen will introduce 3D Secure 1 configuration change on existing Mastercard, Visa, JCB, Amex, Diners and Discover connections starting 07 June 2021 or as communicated by your account manager.
1) What are we changing ?
We are enrolling and enabling 3D Secure 1 for Adyen Mastercard, Visa, JCB, Amex, Diners and Discover payment method, so merchants no longer need to request this. We are making 3D Secure configuration changes for internal connections. The configuration change will not impact POS transactions.
2) Why are these connections changing ?
So you have the opportunity to apply 3D Secure from the moment card payment methods are set up (Mastercard, Visa, JCB, Amex, Diners and Discover), without the need for Support. This also reduces the need to track 3D Secure enrolments and enablement for each payment method and/or connection.
Fraud attacks can be extremely impactful for your business and for Adyen. 3D Secure allows you to mitigate high-risk transactions and this configuration change gives you full control to set up 3D Secure in your preferred way with Dynamic 3D Secure rules.
3) Am I impacted by the 3D Secure configuration change?
To determine if you will be impacted by this change, please answer the questions below by YES/NO:
- Do you process Ecommerce transactions?
- Do you support any of the following card brands: Mastercard, Visa, JCB, Amex, Diners or Discover with Adyen?
- Do you receive settlements for these payment methods from Adyen?
If you answered YES to all three questions above, you will need to take action, EXCEPT for the following connections:
- Diners and Discover in the United States
- Diners and Discover in Canada
4) If I am affected by this change, what level of impact can I expect?
The level of impact you can expect depends whether your integration is currently using 3D Secure or not. To help you determine that, you can use our article Is my integration using 3D Secure.
5) If my integration is not using 3D Secure, how can I be ready for this change?
If your integration is not using 3D Secure, this can have significant impact. For that reason we created a step by step procedure to make sure you can mitigate the impact.
- We recommend to set your Dynamic 3D Secure settings to Prefer Not so 3D Secure is not applied, unless the issuing bank requires it. This can be done via the Customer Area when you log in to your account and navigate to Risk > Dynamic 3D SecureOnce you are on the 3D secure rules page, you can select Prefer Not and click on Save RuleWith this configuration, 3D Secure is not applied, unless the issuing bank requires it.
- It can happen that the issuing bank requires 3D Secure. For that reason, we recommend to implement 3D Secure.
6) If my integration is using 3D Secure, how can I be ready for this change?
If your integration is using 3D Secure, you can expect 3D Secure for card transactions that previously did not trigger 3D Secure. If this happens, you can decide to configure Dynamic 3D Secure rules based on payment methods to change this behavior. This can be done via the Customer Area when you log in to your account and navigate to Risk > Dynamic 3D Secure
Once you are on the 3D secure rules page, you can click on Create new rule
and refer to the below example to set up a Dynamic 3D Secure rule to skip 3D Secure for a given payment method (diners, in this example), when the issuing bank allows it: