In view of the current COVID-19 pandemic, in-store hygiene and cleanliness is more important than ever. Here you'll find recommendations for cleaning or disinfecting your payment terminal. Before you begin, make sure your terminal is switched off and disconnected from power.
You will need:
- Clean microfiber cloths.
- For cleaning: pH-neutral non-scrubbing soap.
- For disinfecting: alcohol-based cleaner (70-90% isopropyl alcohol).
You can also download an infographic from the terminal manufacturer with cleaning tips for your staff.
Avoid triggering the tamper alert when cleaning
To protect against malicious attempts to alter the terminal's hardware or software, the terminal has a tamper alert. When this is triggered, the display shows TAMPER or TAMPERED. The terminal is put out of service and needs to be returned to Adyen.
To make sure you don't accidentally trigger the tamper alert when cleaning or disinfecting the terminal:
- Check the label of your cleaning product: Never use bleach, hydrogen peroxide, thinner, trichloroethylene, or ketone-based solvents. These substances can cause rubber and plastic to deteriorate to such an extent that the tamper alert is triggered.
- Don't vigorously scrub or shake the terminal.
- Don't vigorously rub the terminal with a dry towel or similar. That can cause an electrostatic discharge (ESD), which can trigger the tamper alert.
- Never pour or spray any liquid, sanitizer, or disinfectant directly onto the terminal.
- Don't clean the smart card reader; that could void any warranty.
- Avoid touching the battery contact points; that could lead to corrosion or poor connection.
- Turn off the payment terminal.
- Disconnect the terminal from power.
- Slightly dampen a clean microfiber cloth with water.
- Put a few drops of mild soap or alcohol-based cleaner on the dampened cloth. Do not use any other cleaning product. Do not apply the liquid directly to the terminal.
- Gently wipe the damp cloth over the keypad and display.
- After cleaning, gently wipe the terminal with a clean dry cloth.
- When the terminal is completely dry, reconnect it to power and turn it on.
Unless otherwise instructed, do not, under any circumstances, attempt any service, adjustments, or repairs on a terminal. If you have any questions or are unsure about how the handle a certain situation, contact Adyen Support.